entry level documentation

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Oct 13 12:09:16 BST 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Frederic wrote:

> On Monday 13 October 2003 10:59, Mike Runge wrote:
>
> > maybe your english is better than mine. I can start with an english version
> > and you may correct it and translate it into french?!
>
> I'm not sure that my english is better than yours...
>
> I think that the best is to start with something. Then I'm sure that 'pure
> english' users will help you to correct the doc.

My english is not perfect too, but I'll correct mistakes when I see
them.

> Pablo, how do you plan to integrate translations of documentation in hugin ? I
> think that html (or any other format) files on the hugin web site is the best
> solution...

html is definately needed. I might include the html pages in the hugin
package. and show them when selecting help.
I'll place them on the hugin website as well.

I'm not sure if HTML is the best source format for documentation. I
would actually try to write the documentation in DOCBOOK format, but then
less people know docbook. So I guess HTML is alright. Any other opinions
on the documentation format?

If you write the HTML code, please do not use all the latest HTML
constructs, stick to basic HTML (without javascript), so that I can use
the wxwindow HTML renderer for the documentation, at least for a
reference documentation style documentation.

Hmm, what kind of documentation do you want to write? A reference (that
explains every tab in detail) or a tutorial?

I think a good tutorial is more important than a complete reference
documentation. It should enable novice users to produce some simple
panoramas without too much fuss.

Once people know how hugin works, they can hopefully learn from the
tutorials for PTAssembler and PTGui as well.

Maybe I could also place the project files of the panorams in my gallery
on some website. But then again some of them are a bit confusing, because
I only shoot handheld and creating the panoramas my source images is like
solving a jigsaw ;)