Position of Tabs

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Fri Oct 10 11:03:38 BST 2003

Hmm,

>#1 Images
>#2 Lens Settings
>#3 Panorama Settings (without output specific stuff)
>#4 control points
>#5 optimizer
>#6 output panorama settings (size, fileformat)

I like to have Pano Settings and Output Settings in one Tab. But I understand
splitting the actual one in two to make following the tabs for simple panos
happen.
I think following the tab sequenz has to work for simple single row panos
only - that's probably the thing most newbies will try first and only to have
an easy start this needs to be possible.

>> - You can easily forget to calculate Field of view after setting points
and
>> optimising.
>
>Hmm, thats a problem. if one wants a linear way through the tabs
>(probably desireable for first time users, with simple pano's), then
>this should be in #6. But my intuition would put the field of view into
>#3, together with the output projection, which is required for the
>optimizer in #5.
>
>Hmm. since one can also calculate the field of view and center the
>panoram with the preview panel (see toolbar icons), it might be a
>good idea to show the preview window after a successful optimizer run.

Hmm,
what di you think abot having a toogle in optimize window called "Recalculate
Field Of View" that ist toggled by default?
I got some emails from PTOpenGui users and the most common problem that
happens when they start working with PTOpenGui is that they are getting a
black pano, a pano with lot's of black or only a small part of the whole
pano.

>btw. does the optimizer result contain sensible values for the average
>point distance etc.? on my last test on windows it only showed 0 for
>all of these.

Works fine in hugin_2003_10_09-19_21_win32.zip

>For more complicated panorama's, one has to refine stuff anyway and
>needs to jump though the tabs...

That true. I just remembered, that one approach of hugin was to make it easy
to use for beginners. There are lots of users still using less capable
programm even if they no that e.g. PTOpenGui can do a better job. They gave
it a short try but removed the programm because they decided that it is to
complicate to understand.

Doing advanced things can be complicated - no problem. But the first contact
while trying something simple should be positive :-)

best, mike