preview and final pano

Peter Suetterlin P.Suetterlin at astro.uu.nl
Mon Oct 6 17:13:30 BST 2003

  Hi Pablo,

> > 1) How is 'vertical line mode' supposed to work?  I choose two
> >    (different) points in the left and right image that are supposed to
> >    be on a vertical line?  Before, I was always using one point as
> >    reference and many other points to lie on a line...
>
> the horizontal and vertical line control points are not optimized to
> match completely (x and y coordinates), but only in horizontal
> (thus forming a vertial line) or vertical (thus forming a horizontal
> line). This optimization is done in the output projection.

Yes, I'm aware how that optimization works, it was just about the
implementation of marking them.  So far I had *one* reference point,
and a bunch of secondary points that should match in X or Y.
This is different from having N pairs of disjunct points where each
pair should match in X/Y.

So I would prefer an approach where you mark one point in the 'source'
image, and then are able to select as many points as you like in the
other image that are matched against that point....

> Control lines (t3 and higher, in PT script speak) are not supported right
> now.

Hmm, is that what I'm talking about?  But I was using t1 mode for the
procedure above...

> > 2) Even more irritating:  I ran optimize, pressed 'update preview' and
> >    then went to the panorama tab and pressed 'stich'.  However, the
> >    resulting pano looked different from the preview.  I scaled it down
> >    to ~ the size of the preview and did a screen shot (attached).
> >    While the left house edge looks vertical in the previev, it does
> >    not in the pano.  Also, you can clearly see a jump in the
> >    horizontal stipe along the house that looks smooth in the preview.
> >    Are both using different code?
>
> I'm currently not using a,b,c,d,e during the preview.
> Probably I should add an preview option for that. Unfortunately, I get
> some artefacts when I use the pano tools function to do that.

Huh, now that's really puzzling.  I had the impression that 'your'
stitching looked better than the official one.  Or stitching a large
pano and scaling that down gives in general a different result from
directly stitching a small one.  I guess I'll play around a bit with
that...

   Pit