auto-finetune

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Oct 6 09:52:37 BST 2003

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003, Mike Runge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did a lot of work last weekend using hugin-20031001.tar.gz. I stitched a
> multirow pano with 2 rows (22 photos, 11 photos each) - so it was mainly
> picking points (~ 4-5 points per pair, overall about ~ 140 points).

Looks really nice!

> My idea (beneath make the algorithm better ;-) ) how handle that from a user
> standpoint (weather it's feasable or not) would be the following:

One improvement would be remapping the template into the search area
projection, so that it will actually fit better. This is definately
needed for fisheye images, but wouldn't hurt for normal images as well,
especially when the points are close to the borders

> #idea1
> - picking a pair like today
> - if aft visible fails, just retry second point setting applying aft again
> but just picking the second point again (maybe sligtly different position)
> - apply 'ADD' if you think the point matches
> That's similar to PTOpenGUI without having the auto add point toggle ON, but
> using the nice aft feature
>
> #idea2
> - picking a pair like today
> - having 2 smaller windows with different zoom factor (like PTOpenGui) to
> control matching of points.
> - points are auto added like today
> - if aft visible fails, just pick again the second point in one of the small
> windows.
> - picking points in the smaller windows does an update instead of addition.

I think I'll go for idea2, where there are two small magnified windows.
which can be used to correct the wrong aft point. maybe its useful to
to have a (optional) separate fine tune with a much smaller search area (a few
pixels) for these. probably I should also add a key to jump the mouse
cursor the the small window then.

> Ok, my ideas are driven from my work with PTOpenGui ;-) Starting with
> automatically created points would be much smarter (and maybe much more
> interestiong to solve for programmers ;-) ).

We'll see if I can come up with a reliable algorithm for that.

> Optimizer fails completely in my example, as well as the preview fails :-( I
> got no values neithes a message from optimizer. It runs a few seconds and
> nothing I got back?!

Strange. Must be a problem with the windows version.