PanoPoints

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Sun Oct 5 20:57:01 BST 2003

Hello JD,

I just tried to run panopoints, it starts, but as soon as I click on
the "file open" icon, a warning message box appears:

"Warning: Can't open script: Gtk::Button=HASH(0x8385120)"

I'm using debian, with the following packages installed:

libgtk-perl-0.7008
libgtk-1.2.10
perl-5.8.0

Any idea what might be wrong?

> So I wrote it.  I don't know that much about hugin, but it's wxWindows
> roots seem to make it rather incompatible with a Perl-Gtk program like
> PanoPoints.  If there is a Gtk port of hugin, I can certainly suggest
> some good techniques (I borrowed heavily from the Gimp and Gthumb, both
> C Gtk programs).

I don't think I'll port hugin to another toolkit, but I interested in
seeing trying your program, to smoothen the hugin workflow.
Contrary to PanoPoints I want to add some image processing /
semi or fully automatic control point creation, not just a a smart UI to
make picking points easier.

It would be nice if you considered contributing to hugin, but I see that
wxWindows/c++ is quite different to perl/gtk.

> If I ever dug deeply into Panotools, I'd probably try
> to rewrite the core stitching library to make it faster, more plug-in
> friendly, and fully open (e.g. in the way PTOptimizer/PTStitcher are
> not).

Yep, they are not very nice, I'm using some functionality from them in
hugin, but one can see from the code that H.Dersch is a physicist ;)

Do you have any plans to start something like that? I'm very interested
in it as well (actually I'm already putting bits and pieces of the
formulas into hugin..). Some time I'll have to complement my panorama classes
with remapping functionality, to do proper pattern matching between
different images, for a faster preview etc.