wxWindows / Qt

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon May 19 15:12:19 BST 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Frédéric wrote:

> On Monday 19 May 2003 01:38, Bruno Postle wrote:
>
> > It seems that wx is targeted at cross-platform compatibility at the
> > expense of some elegance, whereas qt is _very_ smooth on linux but
> > deliberately second-rate on windows?
>
> The question is: do you really want to make a GUI for Linux, Windows and
> MacOS ? It already exists *very* good GUI for Windows and MacOS, and none
> for Linux. So the choice of the lib should be first for Linux, the for
> other OS.

Maybe there are very good PT GUI's for windows. But thats no reason not
to support windows, because PTGui and PTAssembler are both shareware
progs. Hopefully we will offer functionality that other gui's do not
have :)

Supporting other platforms gives us a much bigger userbase. I think
thats a goal that is worth a lot, because hopefully more people will
contribute with ideas and maybe even code. Especially when the cost
of supporting multiple platforms is not too big. the step back from
QT 3.1 to QT 2.3 is imho acceptable.

So, yes I want to make a cross platfrom GUI. Else I would have used
the kde libraries, because they offer some nice features that QT
misses.