wxwindows experiments

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon May 19 11:44:00 BST 2003

Am 18.05.03, 18:52 +0200 schrieb Pablo d'Angelo:

> I found that the wxwindows interface not as comfortable to use,
> especially the sizers still do not work like I wanted them to.

Yes it is not comfortable. The real advantage is the licence and the
portability. It is exciting to develop so easy cross platform with
wxWindows, contrary I see many trouble about this on an other project.
-by the way: Your code compiles fine.-

> My conclusion:
>
> I do not want to write a significant amout of GUI code with wxwindows.
> But I also do not want to be the only developer on hugin. If there is
> real support from other developers I will consider continue writing on
> hugin. Otherwise I will join the wxwindows fraction, but only if the
> following things are true:
>
> - no usage of the old openptgui architecture (not even at the begining)
>   This will probably mean the Kai-Uwe's first gui port will need to be
>   splitted into finer parts. (maybe we could use XRC (allows loading
>   of window layouts from xml files, takes care of the layout etc.)).
>   I propose the usage of my model classes as a starting point.

At the moment (wx)PTOpenGui code is mostly clean splitted into function
and ui code. Loading from xml resources files would be great. Even at the
moment I dont know. With wxPhyton this would be no problem, but it speakes
against mac/win users - they would need to install an pyhton interpreter,
even for the gui.
I will search for an xml capable wx-gui builder. -Is XRC an gui?-

> - I'll write some gui code, but I mainly want to work on other
>   functionality (for example: control point searching algorithms).

I would take over the gui stuff as most as I can.

> What is your timeframe with ptopengui? I have some pics sitting on
> my hd that I want to stitch :)

I hope not to stay too long with this. Other project want as well.

> ciao
>   Pablo
> --
> http://wurm.wohnheim.uni-ulm.de/~redman/