template matching (semi-automatic finding of control points)

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Tue May 13 09:20:03 BST 2003

Hi!

> On Mon 12-May-2003 at 10:07:54 +0200, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> > On Mon 12-May-2003 at 08:18:46PM +0200, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> > > I just checked it into the current cvs, so that people can play
> > > with it :) and give some feedback.
> >
> > try again now.
>
> Now it compiles ok (it acquired a couple more dependencies too:
> libxml2-devel ImageMagick-c++-devel).

actually I could throw away the image magick stuff, since I'm not using
it anyway.

> I've had a bit of a play with the auto control point selection.  It
> works very well;

How fast is it on your machine with bigger pictures?

> I assume it is comparing all possible rectangles in
> the second image and selecting the best match

Yep, thats what it does.

> - So there is none of
> the rotational transformations that ptopengui does?.

No, it doesn't do that, because it would add another dimension to the
searchspace. (ptgui doesn't search the whole picture, just a small
neighbourhood, if I recall correctly, so its searchspace is a lot
smaller).

> This _could_ be very automated, even for fisheye sources; the user
> would first have to roughly position the images though, since trying
> all possible rotations &c might get very slow.
Small differences (+-5 deg or so) are more or less tolerated.
You are right, if the roll angle is known from somewhere it could be
incorporated (by simply rotating the template).

but usually the rotation is very small anyway, except for very bad
handheld shots.