hugin comments

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Jul 23 09:11:35 BST 2003

Am 23.07.03, 00:51 +0200 schrieb Pablo d'Angelo:

> Hmm, I don't think that we should offer a lot of "different" optimize
> buttons. This will be very confusing to the user. I think one central
> optimizer window (or tab), like in ptgui or ptassembler is quite ok,
> and all we need.

At the moment we need these optimization stuff to show the user. Something
like the "auto optimize", wich I hope someone have ideas about, can make
all this handling obsolet. We will not need it. So I would like to do
optimizing only as spread thing for the ones who's needs we do not cover.

Another point is for me: I would like to tear off the notebook tabs, at
least the one with the panorama and optimizer settings. This one can place
everything needed arround hugin on the desktop. Not yet found in
wxWindows, even gtk (win?) has.

> There, the decisions what to optimize should be done. maybe we can offer
> different optimize profiles. Each Profile would then specify which
> variables are optimized. maybe even a "auto optimize" button that
> applies some well "proven" series of optimize profiles.

I aggree.

> Speaking of the lens tab, I have some ideas as well:
> Right now the Image <-> Lens mapping is not very intuitive. I'm thinking
> about a tab with two listviews. (one for the lenses, and one for the
> images). It is also a killer if one wants to optimize some specific lens
> settings, because he will have to change optimization flags through for
> all lenses, with selecting them by using the Lens combobox.

For much user interaction this would be fine, hope we can reduce the
amount of needed handling these settings.

> Inherit setting should only be possible for each lens, since it
> doesn't make sense to link two different lenses together (at least to
> me).

For scanned film it is fine to have these things individually, because
the optimize variables shift (d and e) depend on the scann.

> Right now the Panorama class creates a lens automatically when the first
> Image is added. Maybe this should be changed, and the GUI should create
> a lens first (from EXIF data, or from a lens database or from scratch.)

As we have an Lens database access a change would be better.

> The general idea with the commands is that each command leads to a
> complete and consistend Panorama state. So whenever the need for direct
> manipulation of the PanoramaClass arises, or you need multiple commands
> to archive an action, please let me know. Its likly a design bug in the
> Panorama* classes, or maybe there is a better way, that I overlooked.

My understanding was to do everything wich is needed directly on the
panorama class and let an history command follow, because the beautiful
PanoramaMemento remembers everything. Most behaviour is quickly done in
the gui itself. So many new commands, as I would need, are too much for
PanoramaMemento ;-)

> Maybe I should create an xrc file that shows what I've been thinking.

Fine :-)

> ciao
>   Pablo

As I want to edit many lenses at once hugin resets all images to only one
lens. Is this implemented in the panorama class or by my own in the gui?

tschuess
Kai-Uwe