[ptx] 'circle-kind' output of optimization for a 360 degree panorama

Sebastian scut at nb.in-berlin.de
Tue Dec 16 09:57:45 GMT 2003

Hello list,

in the past few days I have experimented with hugin and while in the first
two days I had no problem creating two 360 panoramas and four smaller ones,
yesterday and today I bite my teeth on some very strange issue.

I want to create a 360x35 degree panorama from 17 pictures, each about 20
degrees hfov and 35 vfov taken from my digital camera without any tripod
from a tower (and I had to walk around), so it is not the best position to
start from.

Upon loading of all pictures and setting the correct focal length to 38mm
(Sony DSC-P10 7mm -> 38mm equivalent) I set some control points on each
image pair. As recommended by someone (Ed?), I first try to optimize just
the position in the equirectangular panorama mode. This yields the results
shown in the attached (opt-position.png) file. The preview shows that indeed
the pictures form a circle, but a very strange one (I do not want to win a
modern art contest ;-) (shown in preview-after-position-optimization.jpg).

Yesterday I followed the advice of adding some vertical and horizontal
guides, but the picture still ends up distorted.

So, reverting to the pre-optimization .pto file I choose "Position + View"
optimization, in the hope that a reduced fov would counter the creation on a
circle. The result of the optimization is the dialog shown in the
(opt-with-view.png) file.

The whole panorama project with pictures before any optimization has been
applied can be found for the next few days at
http://segfault.net/~scut/pano-360-35-with-17-pictures.tar.gz

Can anyone help me with an advice how to counter this situation?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

--
-. scut at nb.in-berlin.de -. + http://segfault.net/~scut/ `--------------------.
-' segfault.net/~scut/pgp `' 5453 AC95 1E02 FDA7 50D2 A42D 427E 6DEF 745A 8E07