[ptx] Seams

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Fri Dec 12 16:58:33 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:16, Kevin wrote:
> 	I'm wondering what you do when you have seams in your images?  I'm using
> manual settings for aperature and shutter speed so they don't change, but
> sometimes I still get seams.

Without samples, we can only guess your results.

Check that your optimization has good results:  5 pixels max distance,
and 1 pixel average distance is my personal "worst" before I go on to
manual editing.

If some of your control points are very close to the camera, while most
are away in the distance, that can cause parallax issues; this is most
likely when you don't use a special panoramic head on your tripod.  Use
control points at distant target features only, and you'll get better
match-up.

If the clouds or tree branches move due to wind, you're not going to
avoid that easily.  Hand editing may be required.

The color correction features can only go so far with the limited color
depth in JPEGs.  Try to ensure your camera is exposing all images with
the same shutter/iso/aperture combination to minimize color problems,
but your lens may still have falloff issues to address in post-editing.

I think no tool will ever make perfect images; some post-editing is
assumed.

> Is there any plans to output a native
> GIMP file format (xcf)?

Not to GIMP .xcf directly, as that standard is not easy to remain
compatible over time, but some folks are working on GIMP's TIFF loader
to support the multiple-image TIFFs which we output.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]