comments on current cvs gui

Bruno Postle bruno@postle.net
Sun, 5 May 2002 14:12:51 +0100

    [Just some comments on the gui so far, ignore all this if the code
    has changed while I wasn't looking]

1.  Building

    I can't get configure to work without creating a bunch of symlinks
    in the admin/ directory:

        cd admin
        ln -s old-libtool.m4.in libtool.m4.in
        ln -s old-ltcf-c.sh ltcf-c.sh
        ln -s old-ltcf-cxx.sh ltcf-cxx.sh
        ln -s old-ltcf-gcj.sh ltcf-gcj.sh
        ln -s old-ltconfig ltconfig
        ln -s old-ltmain.sh ltmain.sh

    ..after that, './configure; make' works fine - Maybe there's
    something I don't understand about libtool (ok, I don't know
    anything about libtool).

2.  Index numbers

    The image-IDs in the gui are currently numbered 1,2,3, rather than
    0,1,2,

    I know that gui guides recommend this and I'm not bothered so long
    as the gui is self-consistent (ie. control-points are numbered in
    the same way).

    Personally I prefer 0,1,2 numbering - This is never going to be a
    non-technical application.

3.  Status bar

    There is a lot of information that needs to be displayed (like the
    stderr output from optimising).  Maybe this should be a resizable
    text window with a scrollable history?

    Are all the input images loaded into memory?  ..or are they fetched
    from disk every time they are shown full-size?

    I only ask, because loading dozens of images uncompressed into
    memory is what makes the gphoto gui unusable - One of Peter's 40
    shot panoramas might take up 40 x 1600 x 1200 x 3 = 220 MB.

--
Bruno