[freearchitecture] CVS, versioning and workflow

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 12 00:01:37 GMT 2003

Bruno Postle wrote:
 > On Sun 09-Feb-2003 at 11:21:52PM -0500, Steve Hall wrote:
 > >
 > > A sort of CVS for drawings could be helpful. It might convey the
 > > many variations a given detail underwent by architect and
 > > application.
 >
 > Exactly, none of this is practical without a "CVS for drawings".
 > Unfortunately getting there from here isn't so straightforward;

Modeling various existing script or project communities might be
helpful. The two I'm familiar with are VimOnline (www.vim.org) and
FreshMeat (www.freshmeat.net), but there are a gazillion others.

Since drawing CVS is out of the question, why not explore systems that
already exist:

1. Unmoderated posting system.
    * Files are posted by any user.
    * Drawings are versioned via copies, any user can contribute a new
      version.
    * No restrictions on what can be posted (short of illegal or
      obscene).

    Benefits:  Little restrictions to add, all versions available.
               Little maintenance effort.

    Drawbacks: Vast quantities of information, not enough organization.
               Low overall quality of the collection.

2. Moderated collection. (www.freshmeat.net)
    * An individual/group/committee approves all posts.
    * Submissions may be edited for form, content, whatever.
    * Occasional re-organization or revisions available only to
      those authorized.

    Benefits:  Good overall quality, high conformance to standards.

    Drawbacks: High threshold for submitters a barrier to growth.

3. Moderated posting system. (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/)
    * Files are versioned via copies, all users can contribute new
      versions.
    * Old versions remain, but can be cleaned off by submitter.
    * Files are graded based on user moderation. (One must have a login
      to moderate.)
    * Thinning out or cancellation of redundancies might occur
      automatically based on moderated grades or by an editor.

    Benefits:  Little restrictions to add, most versions available.
               Occasional re-organizations and editing doesn't curb
               community interest and ownership.

    Drawbacks: Large quantities of information require assisting
               organization. Potential for low overall quality of the
               collection, but might be offset by community interest.

Whoa, this third one is the heat. I'm getting a vision of a million
hits a month and advertising revenues! Quick, somebody splash water on
the boy...

Steve Hall  [ |digitect|AT|mindspring|DOT|com| ]