[ptx] Display gamma (was:Vignetting correction in nona)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 3 17:21:43 GMT 2006

Am 03.01.06, 15:58 -0000 schrieb douglas wilkins:

> Hi there,
>
> --- Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Wouldnt Display gamma be a toppic to do together with colour management, as
> Douglas Wilkins allready planed?

On a bug/feature entry I found this. Hal was happy I remember.

> As I see it, there are two areas that need to be addressed. Firstly, ensuring
> that embedded ICC profiles are passed through correctly. Unlike an normal image
> editing application, there is no need for hugin to modify the embedded ICC
> profile or add one if there is no profile.
>
> Secondly, to colour manage the actual images in hugin for accurate display.
> Modifying the display gamma "on the fly" would fall into this area I guess.
> Again, hugin is slightly different and would probably only require an input and
> display profile since we are not doing any colour manipulation, but I welcome
> input on this.

An abstract profile can be used to do all kind of display corrections.
something like:
  image profile -> abstract profile -> display profile

lcms puts them all in one object without speed degradiation.

> Finally, I was thinking of using lcms for the colour management, mostly because
> I am familiar with it ;-), but also because it is reasonably mature and
> complete. It will add an additional dependancy though.

lcms is mostly standard. For the tasks you are looking, for I see no
problem.

> > Beside this, when I load from a newer dcraw (version > 7.0) the images
> > come corrected by an internal matrix plus gamma. They look much like
> > theyre 8-bit sisters.
>
> Yes, dcraw has come a long way. The only problem that I have with it now is
> that it assumes a sRGB output profile (look at xyz_rgb)and most cameras are
> capable of a far bigger gamut...

Dave added this option:
-m        Don't convert camera RGB to sRGB

It is on by default in CinePaint.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management