[ptx] aligning pictures over time

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Tue Feb 7 23:29:16 GMT 2006

On Tue 07-Feb-2006 at 22:37 +0100, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:

> Sorry for the stupid title, but I couldn't think of anything
> better.  On June 24 2005, Bruno Postle posted about different
> pictures of the same scene taken at different times and aligned
> with Hugin (mail titled "aligning old and new photos with hugin").
> I have a few pictures which would be ideal for such a treatment. I
> have been using Hugin for assembling panos for some time now, but
> I can't think how this is done. Could someone give an explanation?

Sure, just make sure the photos are taken from the same position,
then align them with hugin as you would any other set of photos (use
autopano-sift, set horizontal and vertical points etc...)

You probably want to use one of the images as an anchor and optimise
the position, fov and lens for the other(s) (you may have to
optimise the fov and lens parameters for all images).

When you come to creating the output, select 'multiple tiff' - This
prevents the seam masks from being created.

The problem I found is finding the exact location, I recommend
taking lots of photos from slightly different positions and
selecting the best fit.

I did this last week with a building project, we are replacing a
tent roof at a cricket ground and I can overlay pictures of the old
and new structure and see exactly where the two differ - Very useful.

--
Bruno