[ptx] Using nona before autopano-sift for ultra wide-angle lenses

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 16 19:22:10 BST 2006

 Pablo d'Angelo twisted the bytes to say:

 Sebastien> On 8/8/06, Daniel M. German <dmgerman at uvic.ca> wrote:
> [...]
 Sebastien> The distortion that bothers most autopano seems to be the rectilinear
 Sebastien> distortion.

 >> What if you generate a fisheye-projection when you correct distortion?
 >> Will that make autopano more precise?

 Pablo> I haven't tried for images with a medium FOV, but for the images from my
 Pablo> peleng fisheye, it autopano doesn't work well.

 Pablo> One idea would be to create multiple smaller rectilinear images (lets say 4)
 Pablo> from the wide HFOV images. Then these could be stitched together directly.
 Pablo> This avoids the "reproject control points into original image" step, for
 Pablo> which no software exists today.

I think this is a good idea, but the rectilinear disrtortions will
still be there. It is a matter of giving it a try. Perhaps one
approach is to try 2 images with rectilinear and fisheye projections:

For each projection

* Correct lens distortion, generating image in given projection
* Slice each image in quarters
* Try to find matching points in each corresponding pair of matching images.

This might work better for lanscape oriented images than portrait.

dmg

--
Daniel M. German                  "No one can be a great thinker
                                   who does not recognize,