[ptx] Hidden feature in Hugin?

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon Aug 14 07:05:18 BST 2006

Hi Martin,

Martin Proetzsch schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> after having worked with hugin for quite a long time now I today had a
> strange experience with it. When I was working through the controls points
> in the according tab I accidentally hit the g-key (instead of the f-key
> for fine tuning). I was very surprised to see two input boxes named
> "Create control points" which after hitting OK twice gave me a whole bunch
> of control points in the two selected images. The control points appeared
> to make perfect sense but, as I figured out later, this was only the case
> because the images were approximately aligned before due to the autopano
> control points.  So, is there any useful functionality for that hidden
> feature (e.g. approximately aligning pictures, use the "g"-function and
> fine tune the points)?

I have added it for the TCA correction (see the tutorial on the hugin
webpage). As you have noticed it just creates points by finding edges in one
image and calculating the positions in the other image, without matching the
 images. I should probably add a menu entry somewhere. However, users might
find this feature confusing.

> Working with so many control points also revealed a problem with the
> control point table: As I had about 20,000 control points I wanted
> to delete those with low correlation coefficient. However, when I selected
> them hugin began to show the according image pair for each selected
> control point. This took so long I had to kill the process...

Especially for this purpose there is another hack: choose the select control
points by distance function and enter -0.8 or so, and it will select all
points with a correlation coefficient smaller than 0.8.

I agree, all that functionality should be properly to the GUI....