[ptx] Sluggish behaviour of the preview window

Ulf Wilhelmson ulf.wilhelmson at netatonce.net
Sun Aug 13 12:47:31 BST 2006

Hi.

I have seen a very sluggish behavior of the preview window when dragging the
fov-sliders. The remapping of the images do not seam to be very efficient and
thus takes some time to perform.

This leads to another rather-annoying effect. During the remapping the program
seams to be blind for mouse button actions and often miss the release of the
button. The problem naturally increases with the number of images and possible
also the original image size, this I'm not sure about though.

When the button release is missed the remapping starts over again when the
mouse is moved outside the image area. I'm running the OSX versions and do not
know whether it is a mac-only issue.

May I suggest two possible solutions:

It seams like the preview are using versions of all original images separately
and preform a remapping every time on each of them, regardless if it is a
result of a re-optimization, a change of projection or
a change of fov.

If all shape-changing operations instead created a common image for previewing,
this image might be more efficient for rescaling when changing the fov.

An even faster alternative might be to use the outline of the combined image
during the slider operation to show the resulting edge, and performing the
remapping after mouse button release is detected.

Sorry for the wordy post.
I also hope I'm not annoying anybody by suggestions in an area I have little
knowledge about.

Ulf