[ptx] Re: Renewing hugin OSX Distribution

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Thu Aug 10 01:56:51 BST 2006

On 2006-08-10, at 00:18, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> So the behaviour would be (as it is under unix today):
>
> I.  if the text entered in the preferences doesn't provide a path,
> just the
> command (example: "enblend"), then search for it in the system
> path. This is
> done automatically under unix by the shell, dependent on the users
> PATH
> variable, but might has to be done by hugin on OSX with the
> FSFindFolder
> function to search all the private/system/network folder you mentioned
> below, if I understood correctly.
> On OSX it would make sense to add the bundle to this path, so that
> programs
> included in the bundle, such as enblend, can be found if the bundle
> is moved
> around.
>
> In short: if no absolute path given: search bundle and then usual
> directories
>
> II. if an absolute path is provided (example:
> "/users/home/my/localprogs/bin/enblend" under unix), no search is
> required
> and the program is just started from there.

Pablo,

Do you expect normal users to understand this? I seriously doubt it.
Why don't we just give them a simple choice between "System is in
control of this component's location" and "I'm in control and it is
here"? That's my point in short. If it wasn't clear in the first
place, my apologies.

Probably on Linux, you can suppose many users know things like
"Path" (means roughly "Folder Location" by the way...), "Absolute
Path" (the way you write the file location not relative from where
you are looking at) and "Executable's path being just the executable
name means that it would search the Binary Search Path and other
dynamically determined paths" (it is English, actually).

On Mac, to normal users, application bundle looks like just a file, "/
usr /var /tmp" are some hidden folders that they've never heard of,
and "Command Line" is a tool for geeks. To them, the question "Where
is your enblend?" would have only two possibilities: "I don't care"
or "Here, in the folder called 'New Enblend'". Now, does the current
approach sound alright to you?

Ippei

--
   MSN & AIM: ippei_ukai at mac.com  (Skype: ippei_ukai)