[ptx] Wished feature

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 9 20:36:46 BST 2006

 JD> Wouldn't this replace the functionality of the anchor image and position
 JD> within it?  It might be confusing to have both, but an interactive
 JD> preview in which you can drag the full image to change its yaw center
 JD> (wrapping around) and pitch would make horizon adjustments quite easy,
 JD> and things like vertical panos also trivial.

I think it will be great to have.

 JD> If one could make a mapping between "anchor image position" and the
 JD> global yaw/pitch settings, you could make re-optimizing after
 JD> interactive adjustment straightforward.  So the steps would be:

     1. By default pick the central (by filename) image as anchor for
        optimization.
     2. Optimize.
     3. In the preview window, enter the "position panorama" mode, and
        drag the yaw and tilt of the entire pano until satisfied (yaw
        only for 360 degree images, with wrap-around).
     4. To fix "sloping" horizons, enter "rotate panorama" mode, and
        drag to change the pitch.
     5. Map these global changes back to a choice of anchor image, and
        it's pitch/roll/yaw, for re-optimization.

 JD> Then you could eliminate the "Fit" and "Center" buttons in the preview
 JD> pane, since by default the image would both fit and be centered (I'm not
 JD> sure anyone would ever want an off-center pano with black space to one
 JD> side; I tend to hit those fit and re-center buttons alot).  A question

If you are correcting for parallax (one image pano project) you might
end with a very high pitch, and nothing underneath.  At least with
cropped tiffs you don't get a lot of black output in the file.

 JD> remains on what to do as the pitch is changed... expand the vertical
 JD> extent of the preview window in real time?

Why don't we assume (at least in the first implementation) that the
photo is 360/180 degrees?

--
Daniel M. German                  "¿Nunca te vas a tomar nada en serio?
                                   preguntóme.