[ptx] Licencing problem between Hugin and Vigra

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon Nov 28 07:46:19 GMT 2005

Hi,

Florent Bayle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have discussed of this problem on Vigra mailing list, and Ullrich Koethe
> (the author of Vigra) said me [1] that the next release will be licenced
> under MIT X11 License, which is, according to the FSF [2], GPL-compatible.

This is good news!

> But this licence change doesn't seems to concern old versions of Vigra
>
> So, my question is :
>  - is it possible to compile hugin, using the official version of Vigra as an
> external library ?
>  - when did you plan to make it possible if it isn't (I aknowledge the fact
> that you maybe want to release Hugin 0.5 before that) ?

Hmm, currently this is not possible. I'll take a look at this after 0.5,
but I think I'll come around to do this in January 2006.

There are some things (especially the import/export routines) that have
to be merged with the upstream vigra version before this can work.

> I know that I'm maybe annoying you with this problem, but I'd very like to see
> this problem cleared to be able to make an official Debian package of Hugin.

I really liked to see it included in debian, so I'll try to make this
possible.