[ptx] Re: New hugin user feedback and questions

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Thu Nov 17 07:22:15 GMT 2005

Hi Rob,

I hope its ok to post this reply to the ptx list as well.

I think I'll add most of the suggestions after hugin 0.5.

Rob Studdert wrote:

> I'm new to Hugin but I'm quickly learning what it can do and I'm really
> impressed with its flexibility to this point, thanks for producing such a great
> piece of software.
>
> I've been subscribed to and lurking on the pxt mail list for the last week or
> so
> but my attempts to post to it have been rejected I'd still like to offer my
> feedback,

Strange. Did you use the same email adress for subscribing and sending?

> I do have some suggestions and queries, I'm no programmer so please
> bear with me, hopefully my post will make sense.
>
> On the issue of operational suggestions and improvement:
>
> Preferences:
>
> I would like to be able to set the default lens and type for a new project. I
> would also like to be able to set the default camera crop factor.
>

> Camera and Lens tab:
>
> When the new lens button is activated for any image number could either the
> values previously in those fields (to that point in the optimization) or the
> new
> project default lens be used? (set by checkbox perhaps)?
>
> Control Points tab/display panes:
>
> When tuning control points using the fine tune button (or "auto fine-tune"
> check
> box) I find it a little frustrating that the originating window (the window
> where the initial control point of the pair was made) changes position after
> the
> tuning has been performed.
>
> Optimizer tab:
>
> Would it be possible to include an optimiztation roll-down option that provides
> "everything (except anchor)"? This is an option that I would use frequently
> since I currently have to set mode to "the Custom parameters below" and if I'm
> using a lot of lenses then I have to manually check or un-check lots of check
> boxes many times.
>
> Operational questions:
>
> Is there any way to minimise/negate black-space or centre the output image in
> the vertical plane without altering the perspective/VP independent of the
> horizontal anchor line? I often end up with output images with a great deal of
> black space above or below the wanted part of the image which adds
> significantly
> to the output file size.

Unfortunately not yet. Will probably be included after hugin 0.5

> Also no matter what I do I can't use PTStitcher as the "Stitching engine",
> every
> time I try two error message boxes pop up containing the following messages,
> the
> first with an exclamation in a yellow triangle icon and the second with a white
> cross in a red circle icon:
>
> "Program Error
>
> PTStitcher.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
> need
> to restart the program
>
> A logfile is being generated"
>
> and
>
> "Error executing PTStitcher.exe
>
> Stitching failed
> PTStitcher exited with nonzero error code"

The pano12.dll file shipped with hugin doesn't work on some windows
machines. Replace it with version 2.7.0.9 from
http://photocreations.ca/panotools/