[ptx] Re: thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Carl von Einem einem at gmx.de
Fri May 27 09:37:36 BST 2005

Hi!

Thanks for posting all those screenshots. Makes it easier to get an idea
how things are organized on different platforms than Mac.

The GIMP's dialog indeed reminds me of the Mac look&feel in times of
System 7: very clean and straightforward. Nice. The items shown in that
dialog are clearly a copy of Photoshop (there the 'Cancel' button
changes to 'Reset' when the option key is pressed, saves some space).

Are you aware of Aqua's print dialog? I guess this is a very good
example for how to group a whole lot of things to choose from which
differ extremely depending on the chosen printer (can be also a PDF or
PostScript file or even a Fax message). I can post a few screenshots if
there is interest.

I did the layout and print files for several CD packages that had
language versions in english, french, german, spanish, italian and
portuguese. Text length is indeed an important issue: french buttons and
headlines tend to use the most space whereas text masses (explanations,
help texts) in german often need more space. Look at multilingual
'System Requirements' to get an idea.

Carl

ps.
the Venice meeting in August might be a very good place to discuss user
interfaces.

From: douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk>

>>> Ok, in an attempt to simplify and get things aligned properly, I threw
>>> out the GtkFrames I was using and made the whole thing one big table:
>>>
>>> http://artography.ath.cx/hugin-test.png
>
> Also, have you tried it with different languages, where the widths of the
> Labels and input areas may well be different?
>>>
>>> I still can't figure out how GIMP did that thing with the "lock aspect
>>> ratio" button* and the little lines drawn around it to indicate it
>>> affects both entry boxes (been pouring over gimp's sourcecode, and
>>> holy crap C an ugly language to be coding in).
>>>
>>> * See http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Lite_Quickies/scale-dialog.png
>>> (look at the little chain icon next to the "Ratio X/Y" entry fields)

[...]