[ptx] nona vs. PTStitcher

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Fri Apr 8 09:16:47 BST 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 11:52 pm, Mike Runge wrote:
> Sounds good :-)
> Yes,
> xcf works fine, even fully multilayered Tiff support in Gimp would
> simplify the workflow (no need to enlarge each layer to image size and
> to export them into individual tiffs). But as a workaround it is OK.
>
> There were also discussions about enabling enblend to work on native PS
> or xcf format - I cannot remember waht the final decision about this
> was?!
>
> Hal,
> have you done any kind of performance testing (enblending multi-layered
> tiff versus multiple tiffs)? I would expect enblend to consume less
> memory for multilayered tiffs?!

No I have not. I am fairly new to using this type of software so I am getting
a handle on what my workflow is going to be.  So far I have not been happy
with the results from enblend but all of the stuff I have was shot without a
panohead.  So it is hard to get really good clean stitches.  I have ordered a
panohead and I am hoping that this make using tools like enblend possible.

With the ones I have done so far the use of a single layered file seems to be
best since it allows me to do the final blending by hand in the easyest way.
So I don't really care which way takes less processing time on the computer.
Besides even the longest tests I have done with enblend only needed perhaps 5
or 6 minutes to run on my machine (it is very fast).