[ptx] help gentoo amd64 problems

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Apr 3 21:42:22 BST 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 09:38 am, Brian Innes wrote:
> Would you mind summarising what you did to get PTStitcher installed on
> amd64?  Which ebuild did you use?
>
> I'm not entirely clear on what I should be installing.
>
> Thanks in advance

Brian,

PTStitcher can not run in 64 bit mode since the source code is not available
and there are no ebuilds that will install all the 32 bit components to get
it to run in 32 bit mode.  You will need to have multilib enabled and have
emerged emul-linux-x86-baselibs which will give you most of what you need.
Then you need to do the following:

1. Down load PanoTools 2.6b1 and extract it.
2. Copy the 32 bit libpano12* to /usr/bin32.
3. Copy PTStitcher to /usr/local/bin (or any where in your path)
4. Find and download a 32 bit RPM for libtiff 3.x - I used libtiff 3.6.1 from
a SuSE 9.1 DVD I had.
5. Find and download a 32 bit RPM for libpng 1.0.x.  The file you need is
libpng.so.2.x.  Libpng.so.3.x is part of emul-linux-x86-baselibs and does not
work with PTStitcher as it wants the earlier version.
6. Use rpm2targz to convert the rpms to a format where you can work with the
files.
7. Copy libtiff.so.3.x and libpng.so.2.x from the extracted RPMs
to /usr/lib32/.
8. Run ldconfig.  It will complain about not finding symlinks but that is OK.

You should be good to go at that point.  If you have a 32 bit machine with
libpng.so.2.x and/or libtiff.so.3.x installed you can skip steps 4 through 6
and just copy these files from the other machine.

*Also I believe that there are newer versions of libpano12 than the one that
is included in PanoTool 2.6b1.  I found and used one of these some where but
I don't remember where at this point.

After doing this when you run PTOptimizer you will be running everything in 64
bit mode.  But when you run PTStitcher it will be running in 32 bit mode.  So
you may want to keep both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of libpano12
somewhat in sync with each other.

Knowing what is needed it seems to me that it should not be hard to write an
ebuild or to modify the existing hugin ebuild to include these 32 bit
components.  But since this is working on my machine I don't feel
particularly motivated to do this.  But perhaps the person who put the hugin
ebuilds on bugs.gentoo.org can use this info to make a new ebuild that is
~amd64.

Hope this helps.

Hal