[ptx] Re: help gentoo amd64 problems

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Fri Apr 1 08:45:58 BST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 10:51 pm, Shaun Markham wrote:
snip

> I initially couldn't get PTOptimizer working either. It would always exit
> with a segmentation fault whenever I threw a script at it from the command
> line. No errors were noticed during compile and it installed ok though.
>
> I found it worked fine after I recompiled libpano12 without any any
> optimization USE flag set. Both -O3 and -O2 never worked for me. This was
> using the standard ebuild in portage.
>
> Now I just need to get mono installed...
>
>  --
> Shaun

Great that was it.  I have been using -O2 as this is considered safe and I
perfer my system to be stable (therefore I am not using -O3).  This is the
first thing I have encountered that had a problem this this optimization
flag.

I also created an ebuild for libpano12-2.7.0.9 which is the newest version on
sourceforge.  It says in the change log that some changes were made for
amd64.  So I figured this was worth a try.  But it was also giving me seg
faults like 2.7.0.8.  Removing optimization fixed the problem so now I have
everything other than PTStitcher working on my amd64 machine in 64 bit mode.

I downloaded and installed the Windows versions of this stuff just to see how
it compared.  I have to say that it was not nearly as "stable" as running it
in Linux.  Not that the Linux version is super stable but for every one thing
that causes Hugin (and other related tools) to crash on Linux there must be
five ways to get the Windows version to crash.  The only real advantage was
being able to run PTStitcher.

In spite of how unstable the Windows version was I was able to get a very nice
stitch of a photo of the Hughes H1 replica that I shot at the air races in
Reno.  I could not get back far enough to get the whole plane in a single
frame even with a very wide lens so I hand held two shots.  Used PTStitcher
to do the stitch.

At this point I am fairly pleased with how this is working on my Linux box.
There are a few things that will cause it to crash but for the most part it
is stable and I have everything needed for a complete workflow.

Hal