[ptx] Release: autopano-sift 1.7, including Windows installer, no Gtk# required

Ian Sydenham ian_sydenham at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:08:16 BST 2004

Mike Runge wrote:
> I tested the new windows binaries on wxp and w2k. It runs fine on wxp,
> but I can't get the vbs-script running on w2k. Error message is:
> http://www.panoclub.de/albums/album01/aae.jpg
> I think this is due to my very old and undermaintained w2k installation,
> that lacks of several service packs. Does somebody has an idea how to
> get this working?!
I expect that you need to get an updated windows script host. The vbs script is
supposed to work with anything from version 2.0 upwards, but I've only tested it
on Windows Script Host v 5.6 which is downloadable from the windows download
site. Search for Windows Script  at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ or go
straight to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

> Is there a limitation of how many files the vbs-script can handle? I
> tried (on wxp) to drag 54 images on the autopano-sift link and it errors
> something like "Too many arguments ..."?!
The windows command line (and with it any drag and drop command) can not handle
a command line more than a certain number of characters long. I'm not sure of
the exact number, but I think it is about 2000. When you use drag and drop then
behind the scenes a command line is taking place with the full list of files
dragged (including full path and file name). If the path to the files (and the
file names) are short then it should be OK, but its easy to exceed 2000 chars
without really trying. First of all try moving the image files into a folder
with a short name - like C:\pans. If that is still no good then try also
renaming the files to something short (pan01.jpg, pan02.jpg, ...).