[ptx] Re: Does enblend impairs quality?

Andrew C Mihal mihal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 24 21:00:18 BST 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Pablo dAngelo wrote:

> Enblend doesn't blend areas that are not overlapping with other images.
> So differences can only be spotted inside the bounding box of the
> overlap between layers. Blending a single image will just produce a
> copy, I think.

If you just give Enblend a single file, it will not invoke the
multiresolution spline algorithm - it will just copy the file.

In Enblend versions 1.3 and earlier, floating-point arithmetic is used for
intermediate calculations, but the Laplacian and Gaussian pyramids are
stored in integer format to conserve memory. This leads to quantization
errors that introduce some noise into the output images. The worst noise I
have seen is 2 pixel values or less. For 8-bit images, this turns out to
be a problem especially in the green channel. People have posted example
images with "banding" in areas of the sky. The bands are areas where the
average green value changes by only one or two. Since the areas have
well-defined borders, and since the eye is most sensitive to green, you
can see them. I have written an article about this that I will post on the
Enblend web page this weekend.

Second, Enblend _will_ change pixels that are outside of the overlap
region. It depends on how close they are to the overlap, how close they
are to a region where only the other image contributes, and the spatial
frequency of the region. This is necessary for panoramas because our input
images have such irregular boundaries and irregularly-shaped overlap
regions. I'll probably write up an article about this too in the future.

Andrew

Andrew Mihal
www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mihal
mihal at eecs.berkeley.edu