[ptx] Software Overview Requested

Steve Schacht shot at adeptool.com
Wed Sep 22 00:07:58 BST 2004

I've been monitoring this list for a little while to try to get some
idea of what's entailed in creating panoramas.  Unfortunately, there
are gaps in my knowledge due to the numerous software programs
discussed (or simply mentioned) on this list.  There's only so much
I've been able to glean from the context.  Thus, I'm hoping someone can
help educate me by providing a brief description of what some of the
software does (or pointing me to a FAQ or something).  Following are
descriptions based upon my current understanding:

Panorama Tools - A library of software routines developed my Helmut
Dersche for manipulating and transforming images to and from different
projections/perspectives.  Also included is PTStitcher, a program for
stitching transformed images together into a panorama.

Hugin - An open source GUI for Panorma Tools.  Serves the same basic
purpose as PTGui.

Autopano - A program for automatically locating control points in a
series of images to be stitched into a single panorama.

Autopano-sift - I'm not sure what this is or how it differs from
autopano.  Is this just a GUI for autopano?  Help appreciated.

Mono - I have no idea what this program is/does.  As far as I know,
it's a lake in California.   :-/

Enblend - A program which uses a different (better?) algorithm for
stitching images together into a panorama.  Basically, it's an
alternative to PTStitcher.  (As far as I know, enblend can't stitch
16-bit images yet.)

Nona - Yet another stitcher program.  That's all I know about it.   :-(

If anyone can provide additional information to help clarify things,
I'd appreciate it.  Mentioning which platform the various software
programs work on would be helpful as well.  Again, if there's a FAQ
with all the answers, please point me to it.

Thanks much,

---
Steve Schacht
shot at adeptool.com