[ptx] Super-resolution images from many registered digicam images

Pablo dAngelo Pablo.dAngelo at web.de
Fri Sep 17 12:25:01 BST 2004

Hi Sebastian,

> I am dabbling with the idea to implement a resolution increase/fusion
> algorithm to combine two or more digicam images to one higher resolution
> image.

This is a very interesting topic.

>   A friend of mine suggested the following simple procedure: 1. Do a subpixel
> registration of all the images,  2. Transform them (using nona),  3. Upscale
> them using a good interpolation algorithm,  4. Merge them by averaging.

Hmm, maybe, I'd say, just give it a try.

> Now two questions.  First, do you think this procedure would practically work?
> I.e. is the interpolation algorithm nona uses precise enough?

The interpolation algorithms are the same as the ones of panotools:
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/interpolator/interpolator.html

>  Second, does
> nona support sub-pixel control point coordinates?  (With autopano-sift I can
> easily output subpixel coordinates for the keypoints).

well, nona only stitches, so it only reads the image position which is in degrees anyway, and
doesn't look at the CP's in any way.

but hugin and PTOptimizer can ofcourse handle subpixel coordinates, the finetune even produces them now..

This was another thing I wanted to ask you: use subpixel coordinates the .pto files generated by autopano-sift. But unfortunately forgot to do...