[ptx] autopano-sift 1.6 released: control-point coverage improved, bug fixes

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 16 00:21:02 BST 2004

Rob Park wrote:
> So far, I have only been able to successfully use autopano-sift &
> enblend from outside of hugin, which is reflected in the tutorial I wrote.

Oh, I got enblend to work from within hugin. The problem was that hugin
was using /tmp for it's temp files, and on my system / is just a small
partition on an 80GB drive, while /home is something like 76GBs. So
enblend would run out of disk space and crash, and then I'd get the
"wxExecute Error" that I described previously. The fix was to edit my
~/.hugin and change the temp dir to /home/rbpark/tmp and then it worked
fine. So that's good.

But hugin still cannot launch autopano-sift.

It's not a huge deal, at least the tools are working properly so I get
the good resulting pano, it's just less convenient to use them.

I just want to say that I'm impressed with autopano-sift 1.6 and hugin
CVS/GTK2. autopano's control point placement is excellent, even moreso
than before. I made this pano just today:

http://rbpark.ath.cx/photography/panoramas/legislature.html

And it came out perfectly straight the first time. With the older
version of autopano-sift, there would be a bow in the horizon that I'd
have to straighten with a guideline, but this came out perfect with no
need for a guideline. My only complaint is that there were some stitch
lines on the steps of the legislature building that I wasn't able to fix
(seriously, I deleted all of autopano's control points on those few
images, added my own all new ones, and I got the exact same result), so
I had to crop it out of the picture. I'm not worried that much about it,
though, it was fairly overexposed anyway.