[ptx] autopano-sift 1.6 released: control-point coverage improved, bug fixes

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Wed Sep 15 07:41:21 BST 2004

Sebastian Nowozin wrote:
> Please give feedback to this list if this release works well for you
> (especially the new area thing and the --align option needs more testers). For
> me, --align works very well, but I only have one camera and do similar panos.

Hi Sebastian, sorry for emailing you privately before, the PTX list is
broken... all the other mailing lists I'm on set the Reply-To: to be the
list address, so I can just reply and it goes to the list. PTX doesn't
do that, so I always hit reply and it goes off-list.

I am having problems compiling libsift and autopano-sift. The error I
sent to sebastian privately before seems to be because I had an old
version of mono installed, so I upgraded it and I am still having problems.

I downloaded all the mono RPMs from here:
http://www.go-mono.com/archive/1.0.1/fedora-2-i386/ (I got mono-all.zip
and installed all the rpms inside of it). This is mono 1.01.

Now when I compile libsift 1.4, I get this error:

$ make
mcs /debug /unsafe /target:library /out:libsift.dll \
         ImageMap.cs KDTree.cs ScaleSpace.cs SimpleMatrix.cs
ImageMatchModel.cs RANSAC.cs Transform.cs LoweDetector.cs
GaussianConvolution.cs KeypointXML.cs MatchKeys.cs BondBall.cs
AreaFilter.cs /pkg:gtk-sharp /r:System.Drawing /r:ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
Compilation succeeded
make  -C util all
make: *** util: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [utils] Error 2

It's very strange because it says "Compilation Succeeded", and I have
libsift.dll, but compilation took about 2 seconds, so I very much doubt
that it actually did anything.

What am I doing wrong? How do I compile this stuff? I don't see any
instructions for it. I'm very frustrated with the difficulty of this...
Bruno's RPMs are great of course, but they are out of date for
autopano-sift (he has version 1.3 and libsift 1.1).

I am using Fedora Core 2 and I have all the dependencies that are listed
for autopano-sift (mono, gtk-sharp, gnu make and gnu bash), but it just
will not compile.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.