[ptx] autopano-sift 1.6 released: control-point coverage improved, bug fixes

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 14 09:59:48 BST 2004

Hello everybody,

I am pleased to announce another release of autopano-sift. Mostly bug fixes and
one new feature: the area the control points cover in the image is maximized
when purging control points.

The speed is still at the bottom, but this won't change until maybe the end of
this year, when I have more time to deal with this problem. For a 2.0 release I
plan excellent speed and a usable GUI.

It is available from the usual location:

   http://cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/autopano-sift/

Please give feedback to this list if this release works well for you
(especially the new area thing and the --align option needs more testers). For
me, --align works very well, but I only have one camera and do similar panos.

The complete changelog:

autopano-sift 1.6, libsift 1.4
2004/09/14

  * Fix "mono" execution prefix and add MONO prefix variable to
    autopano-complete.sh script. Thanks to Stephan Hegel (stephan dot hegel at
    gmx dot de) for reporting this.
  * Fix percentage display not going to 100.0 percent on completion.
  * Fix --generate-horizon count, we previously generated too much horizon
    lines, most of the times until no further lines could be generated.
  * Fix a rare crash-exception if --align bondball has been requested but
    there was no match between the first two images.
  * Drop the "experimental" from the align options, as they work pretty well
    now.

  + Add matching area maximization.  Previously all the correct keypoint
    matches between an image pair have been reduced to 16 matches based on
    their matching score.  A better way is to maximize the overlap area
    covered by the control points.  This has been implemented by first using
    the convex hull points of all the matching points and iteratively reducing
    or enlarging the number of points until 16 (or the "--maxmatches"
    specified number) is reached.  The old behaviour is still available
    through the "--disable-areafilter" option.

enjoy it while its hot ;),
Sebastain

--
nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de --- http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/