[ptx] Need clarification of autopan -> hugin -> enblend workflow

John Bäckstrand sandos at home.se
Fri Sep 10 12:56:10 BST 2004

Douglass Turner wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm an ole panorama hand but new to autopano+hugin+enblend. Could
>someone please clarify the workflow from autopano to hugin to enblend?
>I was able to have autopano successfully generate a project file for
>hugin. When I loaded the project I was unclear on what to do next.
>
>If someone could quickly walk me through the steps that would be excellent.
>
>Thanks,
>Douglass Turner
>voice/sms: +354 895 5077

Im certainly no expert my self, but I can try to explain what I do, I
wont promise this is the best way to go:

1) Create panoramas in a directory with autopano, though this I do only
if Ive got multiple panoramas, only happened once, otherwise I just open
the images in Hugin and select them all then press "Create Ctrl Points"
which will invoke Autopano for you.

2) Choose an anchor image, but I dont always do this. Some image in the
center of the panorama should be fine.

2) Now you should have a bunch of images open, and clicking the "Control
Points" tab and choosing two overlapping pictures for left/right should
show where the control points are. Ive never seen a false positive with
Autopano so I never check them, but you might want to. I usually add
some points though, the points from Autopano seem to clump toghether,
and I feel it lowers the reliability of the optimization, so I usually
add points to towards the edges of the pictures when they dont stitch up
nicely. Im not sure this helps, Ive gotten no clear evidence it does.

3) Go to the "Optimizer" tab and first choose "Positions (pairwise
optim. starting from anchor)" and optimize with that by clicking
"Optimize now!". Then I usually do one or more of the following, in this
approx order:

    Custom optim. with everything deselected except view, seldomly used,
usually results in a very slight change in hfov.
    Custom optim. with everything deselected except dist a, barrel and
dist c.
    Custom optim. with all of yaw, pitch and roll selected, except for
anchor image, and dist a, barrel and dist c selected.
    Optimize everything. I dont do this very often, view almost always
gets crazy.

4) I (cautiosly) click preview at this point. If it looks OK, and often
even when it doesnt, I do a few try-stitches from the "Stitcher" tab,
closing the preview first, since I get a lot of crashes from it:

    Click Calulcate Field of View (not always necessary)
    Calulcate Optimal Pixel Size, then size down to reduce stitch-time
for previews.
    Choose image format and stitching engine, I usually go for multiple
TIFF and nona, otherwise TIFF and check the enblend-checkbox.

5) Run enblend on the images created in step 4. I do this separately and
from the command line since Ive been having problems with enblend dying
in the middle when being run from hugin, out-of-memory error maybe? I
dont know. Running separately is fine though.

---
John Bäckstrand