[ptx] Re: hugin snapshot

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Wed Oct 27 04:46:41 BST 2004

Marek,

What optimization mode are you using in hugin?

There is a known problem with pairwise optimization, due to hugin's
making direct calls into pano12 and overriding some pano12 methods that
changed between Max Lyon's version and the current version 2.7.0.6.
Pairwise optimization gives the appearance of working right, but I can
see from debug printouts that internally there are mismatched calls.
The other optimization modes go through the PToptimizer utility and
should see the same behavior as all other users of the new optimizer.

The new optimizer has been wrung out pretty thoroughly by this point,
not only by hugin but also by many users of PTgui and PTAssembler as
discussed on the PanoTools forum.  Generally it is reported to be much
faster and equally or more robust.  It is particularly good at not
getting "stuck in the noise" tweaking parameters but not actually making
progress.

However, there definitely are cases where the new optimizer converges to
strange parameter values, where the old one did not.  From my standpoint
as the guy who did the optimizer mod, what makes those cases vexing is
that the strange parameter values usually turn out to be "better" in the
sense of fitting the specified control points with less error, although
elsewhere in the image, away from the control points, the fit is worse.
Eventually reports of such problems died down.  I don't know why.
Adding more control points tends to make this problem go away, so
increased use of autopano might have been a factor.

--Rik