[ptx] Crash on optimise

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Fri Oct 15 08:13:28 BST 2004

Hi all,

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a failsafe method of generating a crash everytime I run Hugin :)
>>
>> Using: hugin_2004_09_15-01_30_win32.zip
>>
>> Load this:
>> http://bram.smartelectronix.com/tmp/crash_test_dummy.zip
>> (file created with autopano with /project:hugin settings at command line)
>>
>> And just try to get through the optimisation with pairwise: I get
>> assertion failures each time.

I think this is dependend on the pano12.dll used.
I can do pairwise optimisation using the pano12.dll Max Lyons provides,
but hugin chrashes doing pairwise optimisation with the pano12.dll
provided by sourceforge (pano12JW2706.zip). This is on wxp, maybe the
same effects on linux?! I can reproduce that error with a bunch of
pto's I tested shortly, if they are 'handpicked' or created by
autopano(-sift), with correct exif info or with just guessing the
focallength (cropfactor=1).

>As far as the EXIF Info is concerned, the camera info gives a focal
>length of 7.1 mm but does not have a crop factor so hugin does the
>following:
>ERROR: 17:57:35.534655 (PanoramaMemento.cpp:157) readEXIF(): EXIF does
>not contain sensor width, assuming 36 x 24 mm film
>(hence the 130-degrees)
>PTLens database shows 3.933 as the crop factor to use (equivalent focal
>length ~28mm).

I think this has to do with different exif specification for some camera
models. E.G. Some Pentax do not provide a sensor size, therefore the
cropfactor is not calculated.
Just keyin 1 for the cropfactor and the focallenght in KB-aequivalent
(for my Fuji 7.9mm real focal lengh means ~35mmKB) or use the cropfactor
of PTlLens and continue. Only the resulting degrees of view are
important. It doesn't matter if you use the real focallength and the
correct cropfactor or just crop=1 and the KB aequivalent.

>By the way, at the wide angle you are using, it might be
>worth running the photos through PTLens first to correct the
>distortions, or use a = 0.013182 and  b = -0.036019.

Any special reasons doing that in PTlens first and not directly within
hugin?! Or do you mean it would be a good idea to find out first the
settings with help of ptlens ONCE to use the same anytime later in
hugin? That maybe a good idea - I still was too lazy to do that ;-)

best, mike

http://www.trozzreaxxion.net
http://www.panoclub.de