[ptx] Re: [PanoTools] Pentax istD with Peleng 8mm

Kathy Wheeler kathyw at home.albury.net.au
Tue Oct 5 11:13:56 BST 2004

On 05/10/2004, at 4:51 PM, Mike Runge wrote:
> On this side (
> http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuff/peleng_fisheye/
> peleng_fisheye.html
> ) something is mentioned about general (In-)Compatibility:

I recently bought the Peleng and a Nikon D70, *after* reading of the
possible "incompatabilities". The site you mention is good, but it does
indicate variations in manufacture can invalidate their findings. The
D70 was (according to another site) supposed to have the mirror/lens
clash, so when we received the lens we VERY CAREFULLY and with vernier
calipers measured the protruding back of the lens from the mount point
and the mirror travel arc on the D70. Our measurements indicated we
should still have 1mm clearance between lens back and the mirror. Our
measurements proved accurate and I can use the Peleng 8mm with no
problems on the D70.

> So, my questions are:
> Does anyone has ever tried this combination? Does it fit? Does it work
> well?

Not that combination, but it certainly seems to work well with the D70.
You should confirm that an adapter is available for your chosen Pentax
and I would recommend measuring the lens protrusion and camera mirror
travel before use. Internal lens flare is not too bad despite the
claims on the web site, and I shoot 4 around (+ zenith & nadir) for
panos so that effectively crops out all the flare anyway.

> Does anyboby has experiences about buying the Peleng in germany or does
> anybody wants to sell his own Peleng?

Nope, not selling mine, no way! We bought ours from eBay, it came
directly from Belarus in Russia via an "Australian" agent. The Peleng
arrived in about the same time, perhaps less, than it takes packages
from the USA to arrive here (Oz - Australia). The seller was genuine
and good to his word.

Like the web site says, the lens is cosmetically a bit rough, the
packaging ... well ours arrived in a bubble plastic wrapped plastic
lunch box. But it works like a charm and is a bargain for the $$. OK,
it's not half the lens the Nikon 8mm is, but it's almost 1/10 of the
price! If you would like to see an uncorrected image from the camera
contact me off-list. Pano(s) made with this combo are posting shortly
on the WWP.

Cheers,
KathyW.