[ptx] high colorimetry, auto-luminance for stop-motion work

Jake Kauth jake at apple.com
Fri Oct 1 16:32:45 BST 2004

Hello all!

My friend Mark is starting a stop-motion animation project, and we
talked several minutes yesterday about the problems he will face.

He plans to use a high-resolution digital camera to capture the
stills for the animation, but one of the problems is frame-to-frame
luminance.  Even with infinitesimal color or brightness variance,
a "throbbing" or pulsing effect will appear if the individual frames
are not color-corrected.

I remember reading something like this on the list, but I don't recall
exactly when... so my question is this:  could Panotools & friends be
used to do micro-adjustments of luminance to force many frames to
match a reference frame baseline?  Any suggestions on technique or
pipeline?

Secondly, Mark would love to shoot the stop-motion shots with multiple
exposure brackets, and recombine them into one single image with very
high
color ranges.  The idea is to get more of the color richness of analog
film
without the terrible turn-around time.

Thanks for your advise!

jake