[ptx] new optimizer: things that might appear to go wrong

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Thu May 20 07:29:17 BST 2004

A couple of people have reported cases where the new optimizer makes big
changes to fov and a/b/c, even taking fov to large values > 180 degrees.

The basic issue seems to be that the new optimizer is sometimes able to
find "better" values for parameters than the old one was, even when
those parameters lie far from the initial estimates.  "Better" means
that the error is reduced for the specified control points.  You might
think that this is always good, but sometimes it results in
"over-fitting" the data so that error is greatly increased in areas
where control points were _not_ placed.

I want to reinforce advice that has been posted in other descriptions of
how to use the optimizer:

1. Do not optimize a/b/c independently for each image, unless you really
have used a different lens for each image.
2. It is safer to optimize pitch/roll/yaw first, then optimize lens
parameters.

I hope this is helpful.  Please continue to let me know if the new
optimizer does not behave as you expect.

Thanks,
--Rik