[ptx] hugin

Benoit Posté benoit.poste at mmce.mee.com
Thu May 6 16:29:42 BST 2004

    Hello all,

    I've been lurking around here for a while, but I just wanted to
seize the opportunity and voice some of my suggestions.

    Actually, the only major gripe I have with hugin is with the
selection. Not with autopano, I like it just fine when I can place my
own control points. Not with some minor problems with "auto fine
tune": it usually works fine, and when it doesn't, you can always
click again to correct the position of the point (in which case auto
fine tune doesn't kick in again). No, the only thing that I really
hate is the mouse cursor/selector ;) . All right, that might seem to
be a very minor point, but I find it very awkward for chosing the
control points, since it does not enable to see exactly what is
selected. A bigger, square one, with some very fine crosshairs would
be a great improvement, IMO ... or even better, what can be seen in
some other Panorama Tools GUI, where a magnified version of what's
under the selector is shown on the right hand side of said selector
(with the crosshairs) ... not sure I made a lot of sense here, sorry.
Of course, this kind of magnifying tool might be a bit difficult to
implement in a cross platform environment, but simply shifting from
this awkward selection circle to a crosshair version would help a
great deal and wouldn't be too hard to do I guess. Or if many here
like the round one, perhaps there could be an option where one could
chose the pointer?
    Anyhow, that was my only real problem with hugin ;) . Otherwise,
it's a great tool :) .

    By the way, hugin does crash rather often, so I got used to saving
my panoramas each time I select the last control points in a couple of
images, or each time I achieve a satisfying result after optimizing.
Funnily enough, since I began to do this, hugin crashes much less
often :D .

    HTH,
    Benoit.