[ptx] 16 bit and float image support in nona/hugin

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon May 3 19:03:40 BST 2004

Am 03.05.04, 18:58 +0200 schrieb Pablo d'Angelo:

> Ok, I'll save the tiff files like that. Internally I'll use 8 bit alpha
> channels.

This or the bit approach, You mentioned, seems to be an clever solution
internally.

> > > somebody uses signed 16/32 bit images etc.
> >
> > modern cameras, scanners, artists, scientists, hobbyists ;)
>
> *g* The question was probably a bit unclear. I was thinking about who uses
> signed 16 bit as opposed to unsigned 16 bit images.

In CIE*Lab colorspace saved as tiff unsigned values are used for *L and
signed values for *a and *b integers. This is the only case I am aware of.

> > The tiff stuff You should have allready, except of double reading
> > and SGILogLuv, which is available on the patches site
> > <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=834911&group_id=75029&atid=542708>.
>
> Hmm, vigra doesn't support that I think. Is it in widespread use?

The LogLuv is an very compact HDR format. You wont need it before doing
HDR stuff, like merginng different exposures. Only the loosely fjpeg is
smaller (and better for the www).

--
Kai-Uwe