[ptx] where are PTStitcher layer masks computed?

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon May 3 07:39:22 BST 2004

Hi Rik,

> 1. The PTStitcher masks often seem badly placed.
> I would expect seams to be at the middle of overlap between
> two images, so that every pixel in the output image comes
> from the input image in which it is most central.  PTStitcher
> seems to do something different, so I was hoping to either
> understand why I am thinking wrong, or fix the code.

Hmm, the next version of nona will place the masks based on the nearest
feature transform, as implemented in enblend.

> 2. I do macro photography (insects at 1-10X on the film),
> so I am interested in montaging for extended depth of focus.

Sounds interesting, but I haven't completely understood your application.

So you're registring the images, and place the masks based on a focus
estimate for each pixel? How do you estimate the focus?

I know that some depth from defocus algorithms try to estimate the space
variant PSF, that leads to the blurring, and try to reconstruct depth from
it. Some algorithms can create superresolution images with less blur during
this step as well.

> I have played around with hacking an algorithm into
> pano12.dll to automatically compute masks for the
> montaging.  It works well enough to be encouraging,
> but there really is not a place to hook it in that I am happy
> with.  Perhaps nona would be a friendlier place to work?

I hope so. I'll check in major changes this evening.