[ptx] Re: how to improve HFOV optimization?

Littlefields - Rik, Janis, Kyle & Peter rj.littlefield at computer.org
Sat May 1 17:22:53 BST 2004

Hi Pablo,

On Fri Apr 30 09:00:26 BST 2004 Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

 > I've one question. you scale by avgfov, I assume avgfov is the average of
 > the two fov's involved in the control point, right? How does it behave if
 > the hfov's are quite different? Shouldn't the fov of the complete pano be
 > used instead (but if I remember correctly, that is not easily
available in
 > the optimisation function)?

The avgfov that I use is the average over all images.  I modified
SetAlignParams() to calculate that and leave it lying around in
a global variable.  The optimization function fcnPano picks up
the average fov after it calls SetAlignParams to store parameter
values provided by the optimizer.

The way that I use this is to record the initialAvgFov calculated
from the starting parameter values.  Then on every evaluation
of fcnPano I pick up a new currentAvgFov and scale all of the errors
by initialAvgFov / currentAvgFov;

I am guessing that your concern about different hfov's is that
scaling might change the way that the errors are weighted
between images.  I think this is OK because I use the same
weight for all errors.

--Rik