[ptx] AutoPano v1.01 Release

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Mar 9 14:39:59 GMT 2004

alexandre jenny wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I updated my autopano software and put a new release on the website :
>
>v1.01 : Bugs fix release with improved detection accuracy
>- Ransac algorithm bug corrected, every picture pair are now good,
>- Updated kd-tree BBF search,
>- Fix dependencies issue : it didn't any dlls,
>- Enhanced information output.
>
>It should work perfectly in many cases.
>
>http://autopano.kolor.com

I have coincidently just come back from India with a bunch of Panos so I
thought I would give it a whirl!

First impressions:  Very impressive.  Generates a lot of very accurate
points.  I checked most of them manually and was generally happy.
However, I frequently found that it would stick a bunch of points quite
close together and few round the rest of the picture.  Perhaps you could
tune the pruning heuristics a little so that it biases away from tight
clusters of points?  Also I find that with water around it is neccessary
to remove the points found in reflections (well at least I think it
helps...?) - I wouldn't expect the software to avoid this though.

I ran it once on my batch of 30 or so mixed up panos and it got most of
them right, but discarded 3 real pictures.  I think there was only a
small overlap, hence the problem.  However, I then added these pictures
manually into the subfolders and re-ran autopano with something like
"autopano pano0 /nomove /pta" and what I got was two panos, one using
the new picture and one of the existing pictures, and then the remainder
as a seperate pano.  Also the script files were placed in subdirectories
(confusing), and although the /nomove param was added the script files
name the files as though they were in subdirs? (bug?)

Should I just turn off RANSAC if I know that I only had a dir containing
pictures for one pano?

Bar these minor gremlins everything is behaving extremely nicely.  Many
thanks, this is excellent!

Ed W