[ptx] Enblend Multiresolution Spline Blender

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Sun Mar 7 10:08:13 GMT 2004

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004, JD Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 13:51, Andrew C Mihal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     I'm announcing the first release of my multiresolution spline blender.

I have tried it, works really well, congrats Andrew.

Now I can finally assemble without seams
http://wurm.wh-wurm.uni-ulm.de/~redman/gallery/panoramas/bollenwies
and print it with high res :)

Hmm, seems to take quite a while on these big images.. ;)

> nona, Hugin's fast PTStitcher replacement, which itself has no seaming
> capabilities.  Then we can let Helmut's libpano do the work it's best
> at: optimizing image position, projecting coordinates, and interpolating
> the result, and let enblend handle the seaming, all from the convenient
> interface of hugin.

Actually I'd like to incoporate the blending stuff into nona. The seaming
lines could also be calculated from the info created during the remapping,
like the angular distance, instead of thinning the masks.

> As Ed mentions, this would probably be most effective and efficient on
> multi-layer TIFFs.  If possible (and it may not be), an option to just
> update the alpha masks (and image planes?) within the TIFFm would also
> be very useful, for those situations when some final post-processing and
> hand tweaking to remove duplicates (person walking through scene, etc.)
> is necessary.

It might be nice if the user could select or modify the seaming
lines (as somebody requested on the list earlier :).
Then no fussing around within your favorite graphics program would be
needed.

It might also be worthwile to calculate the seaming lines with the image in
mind. I thought about using a search for a seamline with minimum cost on a
cost image formed by the overlaps. (it could be the a simple difference
between the overlaping parts (of the greylevel, maybe the hue channel)
, the correlation of small patches).

While that searching could be a graph search for a single seam, it'll get
more complicated with a full mosaic, where a network of seam lines has to be
minimized.