[ptx] Enblend Multiresolution Spline Blender

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Sun Mar 7 08:41:29 GMT 2004

JD Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 13:51, Andrew C Mihal wrote:
>>Check it out. There are some demonstration images on the web page above.
>
> Looks great Andrew.

Indeed! A very nice job!

> It might be a very good idea to incorporate into or chain enblend to
> nona, Hugin's fast PTStitcher replacement, which itself has no seaming
> capabilities.  Then we can let Helmut's libpano do the work it's best
> at: optimizing image position, projecting coordinates, and interpolating
> the result, and let enblend handle the seaming, all from the convenient
> interface of hugin.

Yes.

> As Ed mentions, this would probably be most effective and efficient on
> multi-layer TIFFs.  If possible (and it may not be), an option to just
> update the alpha masks (and image planes?) within the TIFFm would also
> be very useful, for those situations when some final post-processing and
> hand tweaking to remove duplicates (person walking through scene, etc.)
> is necessary.

This might be useful, but it does take away almost all the stuff enblend
does, doesn't it?

I.e. the key idea behind enblend (and the pyramid blender) is to
effectively split the two source images into multiple layers, according
to detail frequencies. This means that there is no way to conver this
into just a single blending mask.

You _could_ do it by actually splitting the source images into multiple
frequency domains with a blending mask per domain, but this would very
quickly increase the size of the final multi-layer file to something no
current PC could handle.

I.e. I get up to 800 MB PhotoShop files from 30-40 source image mosaics,
that's quite big. Multiply it by anywhere from 4 to 64 and you'd be hard
pressed to do anything at all with the result. :-(

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>