[ptx] Re: Enblend suggestion: focus score weighting

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 18 04:39:58 BST 2004

Hi Andrew and list,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:23:37AM -0700, Andrew C Mihal wrote:

> A focus-composition tool could be made as an intermediate tool between
> hugin and enblend. It would adjust the alpha masks to "erase" pixels that
> are deemed out of focus by some metric. The result that enblend would see
> is a set of images with very irregular overlapping regions, but this
> should not be a problem.

I don't think that will work well. Because such an intermediate tool would not
know about the global overlap of images or it would reproduce a large part of
enblend's algorithms. Or I misunderstand what you mean with intermediate tool.

And even if such tool would know about the global overlap and choose the best
focused pixel everytime, erasing all others, enblend would have nothing to
blend between, as there is only image whose pixel is enabled for every global
pixel.

Maybe such intermediate tool could produce an additional alpha-mask for each
image and enblend would use that alpha mask as "focus weighting" and adjust the
blending to prefer pixels that are in focus, but falling back to unfocused ones
if no other is available.

What do you think? (Or do I miss something ?)

> Andrew

bye,
Sebastian

--