[ptx] Even more SIFT successes

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sun Jan 18 16:37:56 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 11:19, Sebastian Nowozin wrote:
> You all must be becoming pretty tired of hearing of yet another success ;-)

No, not at all.  There are two key milestones for me, speaking for the
average user, however:

 (1) we get the go-ahead to use SIFT (or an alternative) in the product,
 (2) the interface of hugin hides any external tool complexity.

The (1) is a bigger problem, legally speaking, but I think we may have
success there.  We can always study the patent itself once we can see
the actual patent details, and build something that differs
significantly enough.

The (2) is straightforward:  Hugin should be able to start from nothing,
and use each of these external tools as required, to get a good project
file.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect the user to run these
automatching tools prior to running Hugin.  I have no worries about
getting to this stage of user interface though, since Hugin was built to
run an external tool in the first place.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]