[ptx] autopano #2, using SIFT

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Fri Jan 16 17:55:59 GMT 2004

Hi Sebastian,

> I am about to complete my own implementation of the SIFT image feature
> algorithm by Mr. Lowe (http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~lowe/papers/ijcv03-abs.html),
> which is the state of the art in invariant image feature extraction,
> providing full scale- and rotation invariance and limited variance to affine
> transformations and color/brightness changes.

thats nice.

> While one small piece of the algorithm is still lacking, most other things
> including the BBF search of the paper is implemented. The next step is the
> Hough transform matching and a way to digest and output hugin stitcher files.
> I hope to work together with Alexandre on this parts :-)

On the practical side: so far we have many different languages, and no nice
codebase. Is .NET really so much better than C++? Is is it hard to port your
code to C/C++? People complain about the wxWindows dependency of hugin, so I
don't want to add yet another big dependency if its not really needed.
Actually all the project/reading writing is already implemented in C++, as
is an interface for the remapping functions and other stuff, so I would
prefer if we could use the same codebase.

I'd really like to add feature detection stuff to hugin and a standalone
program. But I understand if you want to stick to C#.

Something I'd like to see in any case is a clone of the "keypoints" program,
available on Dr. Lowe's site :)

> I plan to release it under the GPL soon, but want to discuss this with Mr. Lowe
> first, as you all know the SIFT algorithm is patented.

Could you ask for a reference to the patent? I still haven't seen it...