[ptx] Multirow Projection / HowTo

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Wed Jan 14 12:20:31 GMT 2004

Some additions from my side at the bottom:

On 1/14/2004, "Bruno Postle" <bruno at postle.net> wrote:

>On Wed 14-Jan-2004 at 08:40:09AM +0100, Fabian Betto wrote:
>>
>> I'am trying Multirow Pictures to make a sperical Projection.
>>
>> But i have some problems with the optimization procedures.
>> Do you have any reference how the steps come in order when i have
>> 3 lines with 12 Pictures like that:
>
>There are no tutorials for this yet, but these are some thoughts:
>
>1. With lots of images, the optimiser can get confused.  You need to
>   give it an approximate idea of the positions of each photo first.
>   Try stitching just part of a row (8 photos) and see how that
>   works.
>
>   The optimiser also gets confused with lots of parameters to
>   optimise, try just optimising one thing at a time - Optimise the
>   yaw for all the images, then the pitch, and then finally yaw,
>   pitch and roll.
>
>2. A full 360 panorama is a special case, this involves joining a
>   series of pictures into a circular band around a sphere - This is
>   only going to work when the field-of-view of the source photos is
>   calculated accurately.
>
>   You can calculate the field of view by trying to stitch a single
>   row and optimising only yaw and fov (field-of-view).

3. It's not a bad idea to first stitch the middle row perfectly. Than
continue with the second row without optimizing any parameter of the
already calculated pictures of the first row. Than go on with the third
row and do not optimize parameters of the first and second row ..... Do
this steps in one project with all the pictures loaded and do a 'save
as' after each row for easy rollback.

4. If your pano is not a 360 deg one, it should normally not a problem to
optimise yaw, pitch and roll in one go and later seperately optimise
barrel distorsion. For those panos I normally do not optimise HFOV (v),
but for 360 deg it's required (like Bruno said).

My examples for multirows can be found at http://www.trozzreaxxion.net
under panoramixx - multirow panoramixx.

best, mike